Sunday, January 16, 2011

Must be Home

On Wednesday of last week Bryan picked me up from an appointment and we spontanteously decided to head out to dinner. I'd heard of a great pizza place in a rennovated firehouse that was nearby. So we went there.

We sat down, looked at the menu, began to discuss beer choices, and I glanced at the table next to us. I know her! I looked at the other end of the table. Do I know him? Is that her husband? He's wearing a hat... Back across to her. It's definitely her! So I wave awkwardly and say "sorry to interrupt, just wanted to say hi." And that begins 20 minutes of friendly chat about beer and the bad neighborhoods of Portland.

It was a tad bit awkward but very awesome.

I believe there is nothing like running into people you know to make a city feel like home, like our city.

In San Francisco the dry cleaner knew me, the manicurist offered me rides to work, and I used to run into a friend on the streat in nearly the same place but always at different times.

In Hawaii friends in cars would see me walking by and honk a hello. At the beach I'd set my towel down, look at the waves and realized a friend was just a few feet away.

If Portland is all about running into friends in amazing restaurants while debating the merits of certain beers, I will be incredibly happy.

1 comment: