Yesterday my friend invited me to join her and a friend at the Sandy River to take a break from the heat in town. I was so excited for a true Portland adventure. The river in the summer!
I knew it was a river. I knew it would be frigid cold and likely be muddy or rocky. I'd also seen pictures of the Sandy River and had read it was stunningly beautiful.
This experience was nothing like the pictures. Nothing.
We hiked a ways to the river, trekked across some "sand" that was like very dry dirt dust, found just a sliver of shade under a desert-like shrubbery, and dipped our toes in the frigid water. Whoooaaa! So cold! We set up a sheet under a power line and I kept busy swatting flies away from me.
My point?
I miss Hawaii. This river business can suck it. Give me the beach any day!
(but I still really, really love Portland)
Oh I sympathize...reminds me of the first time I went to the "beach" in Boulder....at a reservoir.....no sand but lots of rocks!
ReplyDeleteI sympathize as well:-( The best day at the Oregon or Washington coast pales in comparison to that warm, BLUE, Hawaii water. The rivers do get a bit warmer in August, but still no white sand. Still, the summers here are nice because it's not too hot to go outdoors and take full advantage of all the things there is to do. Hang in there!
ReplyDeleteJanice