Moving is all about gains and losses. I suppose that's what life is about too, huh?
But moving from Hawaii to Portland might have more distinct gains and losses than other possible location moves. Here are some I've experienced:
GAINS
- Squirrels. I know! I never even thought of the squirrels. I haven't lived in a squirrel neighborhood since Boulder. I rather like these little guys.
- A reason to own all the hats I have. I once counted my bathing suits in Hawaii. 17, I think. I'd wager I have just as many hats. In fact, I already bought one. In Portland I'll be able to wear them! With good reason.
- Walking. We live in a super walkable neighborhood. I don't have a job. I've committed to an hour walk every weekday until I have a job.
- Cocktails. Yum!
- Italian food. Oh, how we missed this!
- Bridges. I love bridges. Bet you didn't know that. Lucky I live in Bridgetown.
- A crazy cute house.
- Live music. I knew we would enjoy this but I didn't know I would be near-tears at a music show last night because I was SO happy. It was like coming home, with a big hug, it felt so right.
- Recycling. It's amazing how much less trash we produce when we can recycle. Hawaii, get with the program!
- Kitties. Our neighborhood is literally FILLED with cats. They're pets, not wild. And we like cats. Everyday when I walk I meet new kitties and smile. I am so curious to see if they're still outside when the weather gets bad.
LOSSES
- Our buddies. (sad face) We miss them!
- My tan. Bummer.
- Our routine. I naively didn't expect this. I really miss being able to anticipate what comes next, know who to call, where to go. This so far is the most unsettling.
- Swimming. Yesterday I went to the gym to swim. But I couldn't find my goggles. Then my gym membership wasn't valid. What a hassle! The beach is much, much easier.
- Favorite restaurants. We'll have to work hard to create a new list. There's just too many to choose from.
- Rainbows. That might be because we're also missing the sun on most days.
- Our crappy car. Happy loss!
I'm sure there will be more. I'll keep you posted as I discover them.
No comments:
Post a Comment