Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Soap Pancakes to the Rescue

Right now there are wet soapy pancakes drying on our kitchen counter. Why? Because I am a reckless idiot.

On Sunday I couldn't pass up a good deal on a flat of strawberries. They needed to ripen just a bit so I left them out to warm up. Then I slowly went through washing them in bunches and preparing to freeze them - because we cannot eat a flat of strawberries in 48 hours. I got distracted yesterday when the temperature passed 90 and I got ready to head out for a friend's birthday celebration.

I didn't think twice about leaving the strawberries out on the counter. You see, in the past ten years I've lived in homes with linoleum counters. Our beautiful little rental has granite. See where this is going?

Bryan woke me up this morning to tell me that the strawberries had left TERRIBLE stains on the granite and he couldn't get it out. Ohmygod, the stains are so bad. I freaked out. Then I turned to Google. Seriously, what did people do before the internet?

Google assured me that these stains would likely come out if I made a paste of flour, dish soap, and water. I had to saran wrap my soap pancakes to the counter and now I am patiently waiting for them to dry with the hope that they suck out the strawberry stain from the counter. It might take as many as six applications. Hey, I don't have a job. I'm not gonna complain about making soap pancakes on my counter every day for a week.

I just really, really hope the stain comes out. I'd hate to have to fess up to our landlord that I ruined her pristine kitchen.

2 comments:

  1. Suer hope the soapy pancakes work!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a suggestion-maybe have a Hawaiian Priest come in and bless the place:-)?? Seriously, I tried the soapy pancakes on red wine stains and it worked, but it took several applications. I think I did more than six, but I did see improvement during the process when I would let it dry. Strawberries might not be as hard as wine since they contain more water and might not penetrate as much...just a guess. I also tried Oxi-Clean, but it didn't work for wine. Good luck_Janice

    ReplyDelete