Sunday, August 22, 2010

My Dating Life

Moving to a new town means meeting people. Meeting people means the emotional rollercoaster of "will they like me?" "are they cool?" and "is this the right thing to wear?" Not to mention "is this the place?" or "should I offer to buy them a drink?"

Honestly, it's exhausting.

Here's what I didn't expect... repeatedly walking up to strangers at bars or coffee shops to ask them "Are you Steph, Steve, Mike...?" Even worse, sending texts and emails to potential professional contacts that include "I'm wearing a pink shirt."

Oh my god. I feel like I'm on Match.com or something. I am on a blind date a handful of times a week. It's just not for romantic prospects. And I bet it's even more stressful.

I've been a cool bar and asked two people "Are you Steph?" I've been at a coffee house/bakery at noon on a weekday and made serious eye contact with two strange men only to learn neither of them were the person I was meeting.

Oh well. You do what you gotta do. Either for love, friendship, or a job. I keep ironing my "first meeting" outfit and keep writing emails that ask "if you'd be willing to meet for a cup of coffee..." And I keep entering public places with my eyes already searching. Here's my best tip for you: when on a blind date, it works to look like you're looking for someone.

Hopefully the person you're looking for will recognize your desperation and you'll save yourself from asking lots of people if they are your date.

1 comment:

  1. Getting to know you...getting to know all about you...getting to like you...getting to hope you like me....( from the 1956 musical the King and I)
    I'll bet you're having fun meeting all these new people!

    ReplyDelete