Tuesday, December 14, 2010

My Lucky Streak

Here's a helpful tip: you never want to live with me.

Sure, I'm a little messy and I tend to leave my computer in a place where you'll trip on the cord. But here's the worst of my faults... I have a knack for finding rentals with leaks.

First it was leaking windows that would literally drip and wake me up in San Francisco. Then it was a leaky closed-in lanai in Hawaii that would leave your socks wet when walking indoors in Hawaii. My newest addition to this unique collection is a basement that develops puddles in heavy rain and subsequently smells like faint urine.

Oh joy!

We discovered this two days ago. Bryan emailed our landlord and suggested she have it fixed (I have no idea how you fix a basement that leaks from the ground up). She didn't like his email and suggested we might want to move out. This lead to lots of anger from us, a "I think we we have a misunderstanding" email to her, and a quick pursual of Craigslist to make sure there are other rental homes out there.

The good news: there are other rentals. Many of them are bigger and cheaper than ours. I'm betting our landlord doesn't even respond to the most recent email and this can all be water under the bridge. Or, uh, water in the basement.

The bad news: we're going to hang on to this anger to our landlord for a while. We really like the above-ground portion of our house and it would suck to move.

I think I'm ready to be a homeowner.

2 comments:

  1. Dear prospective homeowner - interest rates are unbelievably low at this time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Instead, it seems that you choose to live in particularly rainy places...maybe you should consider Arizona. Then the house wouldn't matter.

    ReplyDelete