Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Breaking the Time Continuum

I spent five months in Spain when I was in college – studying abroad for one semester. For the first three months I was diligent and detailed in recording all of my adventures and feelings in my journal. Around months 3-4 some friends and I took a trip to Morocco. It was a wide-eye, vivid-color, wow sort of trip. There was just too much to say in my journal. I wanted to capture it all but I also wanted to record the daily events of my life once we returned from Morocco.

In an effort to keep the integrity of my journal, I tried to catch up on Morocco, and wrote my daily updates in a separate place. The plan was to finish Morocco and then transcribe everything into one original chronological journal. That never happened. What I have now is a journal that’s 75% full, and a pile of papers that document the rest of my time there.

Why am I sharing this? Because it’s exactly what is happening here.

I can’t tell you how we got our Christmas tree because I didn’t write about Halloween yet! I can’t blog about Thanksgiving if September and October aren’t wrapped up nicely. And yet it feels like a chore to go back in time to recap something that happened two months ago. It’s a little Catch-22 I’ve created here for myself.

I also have a piece-of-junk computer that just makes everything digital feel like a chore. But guess what? I got a job! And that job comes with a computer! And like I mentioned above, we got a Christmas tree – and I’d like to talk about it.

I’m going to try to let myself let go of chronological order and just role with it. I bet you do want to see pictures from Halloween – they’re funny!

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the job! Very happy to hear about that in this economy, a reason to celebrate for sure. I say let go of chronological order and post when you feel like it. People who like your blog are just happy to "catch up" from time to time and now that you're a "working girl" again, you have a good excuse:-)!
    Jan

    ReplyDelete